Join Rosemary in this week’s advice video as she answers your question, how strong are Shetland ponies?
We often get asked the question how do the Shetlands manage to carry the children when they are so small? Our Shetlands range in size from 32 inches- 42 inches, from the ground to the top of their withers, so they are very small indeed. However, they are very strong in proportion to their size.
Shetlands are strong because:
- Their lower legs have strong, stocky, and thick cannon bones (the bone between the hoof and the knee)
- They have a wide chest and their heart is big and strong
- They have a muscular neck, compact body, and short back
- Shetlands can pull twice their body weight compared to a large horse that can pull only half his body weight
- A child on a Shetlands back is the equivalent to us carrying a large handbag
- Our larger ponies can carry weight up to 7 stone
The Ranch opens on Saturday 5th March 2022 – Sunday 27th November 2022. Book now for Easter Holidays.
Shetland Pony Parties – back on for 3 year olds! Amazing pony parties for children aged 3 -10 years old. Use of a private facility with 6 ponies, creating magical memories for your child’s birthday. One and a half hours – £650 for 10 children. Extra riding children (up to 18), £25 each.
Easter Egg Hunts 9th -18th April 2022. Come and take part in our fun Shetland Pony Treasure Hunts especially for Easter, with riding along a trail and chocolate eggs to find in the countryside. Easter fun for children aged 4-10 years old. One and a half-hour session- £65/ child.
Starter Rides – back on for 3 year olds! 45 minutes long and are specially designed as first riding experiences for children. £45/ child.
Own a Pony Experiences – are two hours long and are delightful early riding and learning experiences for children from age 4 years old. £65/ child.
Summer pony camp days and weeks – enjoy the whole day with your favourite Shetland pony. Learn to ride him, look after him and enjoy being with him all day long. 9:30am – 4pm, Summer holidays only. Age 5+. £135 per day or £540 per week.
From Rosemary, the Shetland Pony Club Team and all the Shetland ponies
Contact us on: 07734 950 309 or email: email@example.com