Learn how to play polo on a Shetland pony in this week’s episode of Shetland Pony Club TV.
What is polo?
Polo is an exciting game played on polo ponies at the gallop. It’s very skilled when played well, but everybody has to start somewhere.
So how do I start to learn to play polo?
Parents often ask us what’s involved in playing polo. It’s best to start on the ground with a stick and a ball and practise hitting the ball. When you can do this, you can then try it on a pony. It’s best to have a go in walk first, so the Shetland ponies at Shetland Pony Club are ideal to have your first go.
Do I need to learn to gallop?
Yes, to play a polo match you will need to be able to gallop on your pony and hit the ball too. So, it’s best to learn these skills separately before you put them together in a polo match.
Can I try polo at Shetland Pony Club?
Yes, you can learn to play polo during our Shetland Pony Club Summer Camp Days, suitable for children aged 5+
When are the Summer Pony Day Camps?
Summer Pony Day Camp dates for 2019 are:
- Monday 22 July – Thursday 25 July 2019 – almost full
- Monday 29 July – Thursday 1 August 2019 – almost full
- Monday 5 August – Thursday 8 August 2019 – fully booked
- Monday 19 August – Thursday 22 August 2019 – almost full
Summer pony camp days and weeks – enjoy the whole day with your favourite Shetland pony. Learn to ride him, look after him and enjoy being with him, all day long. 9.30am – 4pm, summer holidays only. Age 5+. £125 per day or £500 per week.
Book now for summer pony riding
Yay, we open in the week from 15 July – 29 August
We are open from 15 July – end August for pony fun! From age 2.5 you can enjoy:
Starter Rides – are 45 minutes long and are specially designed as first riding experiences for children from age 2½ years old. They cost £40 per child.
- Extra weekend Starter Rides available on Sat 13 & 27 July and Sun 14, 21 & 28 July
- We are open in the week, extra Starter Rides available on 16, 17 18 July
Pony Mornings – are 2 hours long and are delightful early riding and learning experiences for children from age 4 years old. Children enjoy both riding and pony care. They cost £55 per child.
- Extra Pony Mornings available on Sun 14 and 21 July
- We are open in the week, Extra Pony Mornings available on 15 & 16 July
Any questions? Do contact Liz in the office for more help on: 07734 950309 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Small Ponies…Big Dreams from
Rosemary, Liz and all the ponies and the Team at Shetland Pony Club