In this pony advice video we learn the answer to a much-asked question – what does a Shetland pony weigh?
How do you weigh a Shetland pony?
To find out the weight of our Shetland ponies, the most accurate way to do so is with a special pony weigh scales, which are like a big set of bathroom scales. We can stand our ponies on the scale and record how much they weigh.
Some of our ponies are very happy on the scales, like Dreamcoat, but some take more practice, as with Prince William.
What does a Shetland pony weigh?
- A small or miniature Shetland pony, like Honeybee, Dinky and Snowdrop should weigh around 120 kg.
- Midi Shetland ponies such as Toffee should weigh about 150kg.
- Larger standard Shetland ponies, like Gordon and Teddy Bear should weigh about 180kg – 200kg.
Why does a Shetland pony’s weight matter?
For Shetland ponies to be happy and healthy with no sore feet, they should be the right weight for their size, so if they are a little heavy, they need to eat a bit less and exercise more.
Can you guess which of our ponies are the right weight, and which Shetlands are a little heavy?
Shetland Pony Club is open
- May Half Term – We are fully booked, but can get short notice availability so do check our live booking system.
- Book now for summer and the whole season. Make sure you don’t miss out on pony riding fun.
- Spectators – more than one adult may now attend with their child.
For your safety we have COVID – secure procedures in place:
- Please minimise the number of people attending with your child within the current government guidelines.
- Adults must wear a mask when signing their child in.
- You are welcome to watch from our socially distanced benches and marquee.
- If your child is 5+ adults may leave site provided we have your contact details.
- You can find out more about our COVID-secure procedures here.
You can book now for:
Do take a moment to watch this week’s video: what does a Shetland pony weigh?
Enjoy your riding in the sunshine
From Rosemary, the Shetland Pony Club Team and all the Shetland ponies
Contact us on: 07734 950 309 or email: email@example.com